8 Hints and Tips for Successful Content Marketing
Content marketing is the process of creating and distributing interesting and relevant content with the aim of attracting and engaging a target audience by leveraging your words in your business’s favour.
The objective of this is to drive traffic to your website and increase the number of enquires you receive, providing you with leads and sales. When producing content, you don’t need to be an expert, but you do need a good fundamental knowledge of how content marketing can work for your business. Here are 8 hints and tips on how to run a successful content marketing campaign:
- Have an on-going strategy. You can’t just create a pile of content and release it across the Internet, expecting it to do all the work for you for the foreseeable future. Content should be written and distributed in a steady stream throughout the year. By publishing at regular intervals you are able to maintain a constant online presence, as well as keep your content topical to any current events and news, or incorporate new technology developments.
- Monitor your content marketing. Use website analytics and call tracking technology to assess the effectiveness of your content marketing. By knowing which content is creating traffic, generating enquiries and resulting in sales, you can form a time and cost efficient content marketing strategy.
- Use social media. Connecting with your target audience through social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter is a good way to help you distribute your content, as well as a good method of monitoring your content marketing by viewing the number of ‘likes,’ ‘shares,’ comments and ‘retweets.’
- Quality over quantity. Publish a few excellent quality items that are really interesting, engaging and relevant, instead of a dozen reasonable quality items that are somewhat relevant and moderately interesting and engaging. Only content that really grabs people will lead them to your business. Substandard content will be scanned, discarded and rendered next to useless.
- Aim your content at your target audience. Ensure that your content is relevant and stimulating to an audience that might be actively interested in your business, and ensure that the tone of the content is suitable for the demographic you wish to reach. Unfamiliar terminology or an inappropriate writing style will push readers away instead of drawing them in.
- Incorporate SEO. Your content needs to be read to work, so make sure you include the keywords and phrases you want to target.
- Get your content noticed. To ensure your content is read, you need to do more than just SEO. Proactive distribution will give you a wider audience than just posting your content in a quiet corner of your website, and there are a number of channels. You could distribute your content through blogging networks or guest blog for another website, send content to online magazines, or put your content into an emailed newsletter with links to the full content or links to your content on social media sites and forum responses.
- Inform, don’t sell. Whilst the point of content marketing is to increase sales, sales pitches will rarely engage a reader. Give the reader information that leads to a conclusion that involves your business, product or service.
The key to successful content marketing is to create excellent quality content, distribute it effectively, and assess which content is generating leads and sales. You need to monitor leads generated through both online and offline enquiries. You can do this by integrating web analytics, call tracking solutions and customer feedback, and then use this data to plan your future content marketing campaigns.